Weathersfield Select Board
August 6, 2009
Present: Dave Fuller
Henry C. Cobb
Others Present: [no list provided]
Larry Melen, Town Manager
Wes Hazeltine, Road Superintendent
Julia Lloyd Wright
1. Call to Order by Vice Chairperson: Mr. Boyer called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. at the Highway Garage.
2. Comments from Citizens: Brenda questioned uncollected taxes which showed on her tax bill. She said she asked the Town Manager and he gave an explanation that this is for those that do not pay their taxes. Mr. Boyer said the State of VT requires the Town to account for uncollected taxes. Mr. May questioned why everyone doesn't pay the same amount; Mr. Melen said it is a tax rate based on the appraised value of the house not a flat rate. Mr. Melen said this is included in the budget and also reminded everyone seven years ago the Town of Weathersfield had a large deficit. He said the Town is responsible for the State Education tax as a whole, not the individual.
There was discussion on why the Town is in this situation if delinquent payer's property goes to tax sale. Mr. Melen explained not all delinquent properties can be sold; some are on payment plans etc. He also explained we have to have a certain amount as an undesignated fund balance in addition to funding all of our budgets.
Mr. Cobb said the Veterans Memorial Committee has been working for over three years collecting donations to build a monument. He noted the Town has now received a grant for $49,000 to build this monument and he would like the Select Board to designate the Town as the Grantee.
Mr. Cobb made the motion to designate the Town of Weathersfield as the Grantee for the Veterans Memorial Grant that will be FY2010, Mr. Fisher seconded the motion. Motion carried unanimously.
3. Review Minutes from Previous Meeting: Mr. Cobb made the motion to approve the minutes dated July 16, 2009, Mr. Fisher seconded the motion. Corrections were noted. Motion carried 3 - 0 with one abstention.
Mr. Fuller made the motion to table the minutes dated July 2, 2009. Mr. Fisher seconded the motion which passed without dissent.
a. American Recovery and Reinvestment Act: Mr. Melen said we can submit an application for a transportation enhancement program ie: Ascutney sidewalk. He said we need to submit the notice that we intend to apply. Mr. Cobb asked what are the pros and cons of doing this. Mr. Melen said the pro is we could get a sidewalk. Mr. Cobb asked about the max match, Mr. Melen said the match is 20% so that is a con. Mr. Fuller asked if it would cost any money to apply, Mr. Melen said no. Mr. Fuller said he is concerned even though we've had engineering studies done that they may make us get updated studies which would cost us more money. He said he feels when we apply for grants (or put out bids) we give the impression we intend to purchase/buy something.
Mr. Cobb made the motion to have Mr. Melen sign a letter of intent. Mr. Fuller seconded the motion which passed without dissent.
b. Request Deaf Child Warning Sign: Mr. Melen said Ms. Dube has requested a sign for Reservoir Road. Mr. Hazeltine said there are two signs upstairs.
Mr. Cobb made the motion to install the deaf child signs per NUTCD standards near 2058 Reservoir Road, Mr. Fisher seconded the motion. Mr. Fisher asked what the speed limit is on the road; Mr. Melen said it is posted for 40 mph. Mr. Cobb revised his motion to include at no charge to the Dube's (since we have the signs here); Mr. Fisher seconded the revised motion. Motion carried unanimously.
c. Readopting of Town Plan: Mr. Melen said we need to warn two Public Hearings to re-adopt this plan. Mr. Cobb made the motion to hold two Public Hearings on September 3, 2009 at 7:00 p.m. and September 17, 2009 at 7:00 p.m. Mr. Fisher seconded the motion. Mr. May asked if the notices now go to the Rutland Herald. Mr. Melen said only to the Valley News. Motion carried unanimously.
5. Weathersfield Fire Commission:
A. Ascutney Volunteer Fire Department Memorandum of Agreement: Mr. Boyer said he feels there should only be one agreement, Mr. Cobb and Mr. Fuller agreed. Mr. Boyer said we should go back to Ascutney and say there will only be one agreement. Mr. Fisher asked what the hold up was, Mr. Boyer said they didn't like the agreement presented and they deleted a lot of stuff that we had included. Mr. Fuller and Mr. Cobb said they would like to discuss this in Executive Session.
B. Ascutney Volunteer Fire Department E-1 Primer Pumper: Mr. Fuller made the motion to table until August 20, 2009. Mr. Cobb seconded the motion which passed without dissent.
6. Old Business:
Mr. Melen said he doesn't have the latest revision of the Highway Access Ordinance with him tonight and the Attorney has made changes. Mr. Fisher made the motion to table the discussion until August 20, 2009, Mr. Cobb seconded the motion. Mr. Fuller asked to receive the final copy in his packet so he can review it before the meeting. Motion carried unanimously.
Standards and Procedures to Engage Technical Review/Third Reading: Mr. Cobb made the motion to move to the final approval on August 20, 2009, Mr. Fisher seconded the motion. Motion carried unanimously.
7. New Business
A. Fiscal Year 3010 Computer Appraisal Services Agreement: Mr. Fuller made the motion to accept the letter of agreement for computer services for $201.89. Mr. Cobb seconded the motion which passed without dissent.
B. VLCT Annual Town Fair Delegates: Mr. Melen said the Town Fair is October 1, 2009 and there are three meetings taking place. Mr. Cobb made the motion to appoint Mr. Melen, Mr. Adams and Mrs. Gould the Town delegates for the VLCT annual town fair. Mr. Fuller seconded the motion which passed without dissent.
8. Monthly Reports:
Constable: report received
Land Use: report received.
Southern Windsor/Windham Counties Solid Waste Management District: report received
Highway: Mr. Hazeltine said on Monday the 10th the culvert will be replaced at the intersection of Wellwood Orchard/Weathersfield Center Road so a portion of the road will be closed. Mr. Fisher questioned when the tree in Ascutney would come down; Mr. Hazeltine said they've been busy. Mr. Melen said paving for the School House Road will start on Tuesday.
9. Appointments: None
Mr. Melen said for the people that own homesteads in Town the original tax bills that went out had a mistake in them so the tax bills were re-run and corrected copies have gone out.
10. Sign Treasurer Warrants: Mr. Cobb made the motion to approve the Treasurer Warrants as follows:
General Fund Payroll $ 17,636.94
General Fund Operating Expense $ 47,026.54
Highway Fund Payroll $ 13,230.49
Highway Fund Operating Expense $112,114.46
Solid Waste Management Fund Payroll $ 3,114.12
Solid Waste Management Fund Operating Expense $ 4,619.83
Reserves $ 20.58
Library $ 809.00
Mr. Fisher seconded the motion. Motion carried unanimously.
11. Next Meeting's Agenda Items: policies and procedures, E-1 primer pump, budget and finances, amendment to stop sign ordinance, renaming a road.
12. Executive Session: Mr. Cobb made the motion to go into Executive Session for Personnel and Contract negotiations with the Town Manager and Mr. Hazeltine. Mr. Fisher seconded the motion which passed without dissent.
Approved by the Weathersfield Select Board on September 17, 2009
Norman John Arrison
Henry C. Cobb